Friday, April 3, 2015

Let them Eat Cake!

                                   This past week we celebrated my daughter's 18th birthday! I adore this girl!


Sorry Lillie Lu! Happy Birthday!
Wow, that makes me feel old when I actually type it! She had several different little celebrations. One of her sweet friends surprised her with a cake at school and, rumor has it, they couldn't wait until lunch to give it to her so they ate cake in calculus class! On the same day, she had dinner at a local restaurant with some good friends from school. I thought this warranted another surprise cake, after all, you only turn 18 once!

My cake!
After sharing an iPhone picture on my Instagram account and Facebook page, the cake received a lot of 'likes' and positive comments. So, I thought I'd share with you how to make it ... after all, this blog is not only going to be about decorating and design but also how to make everyday, extra special, whenever you possibly can. Hence the subtitle, 'Everyday Goodness'.

As far as cakes go, this one is relatively easy. This was the first cake, of this sort, I have made and it turned out just fine. The design is very forgiving and things don't have to be perfect! I could have done my own tutorial however the one I watched below, simply cannot be topped. I followed these instructions for the most part. The only thing I did differently was make a smaller three layer cake which I colored three shades of pink for an ombre effect on the inside. Because the cake was taller I made my flowers a little bigger to accommodate the height.


Click here for link to the tutorial!

Another small detail that I did to make the cake cute was these great, tall candles that you can get at most any party store. Fun!

   
                               
I also love this style of cake plate I used because you can change out the ribbons to add a little more pizazz to your presentation! Seriously you guys, make this cake. You can do it! It really isn't that difficult. Had I known I would be writing a blog post about it, I would have taken my time a little more as well as taken some better pictures!

This might be something you could try over the Easter long weekend for your Sunday gathering. Here is a link for the buttercream icing I used. Always us butter if you can, it tastes so much better!  I quadrupled the recipe and only had a little left over. Buttercream Recipe

I have to apologize for my excessive use of exclamation points but when you are writing about things like birthdays and cake, its hard to keep them to a minimum!!!

Lillie and her friend, Peggy, finishing up the cake at school the following day. I guess they decided against using plates!
Hope this inspires some of you to give this a try. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be delighted to hear from you! To get sneak peaks of what I'm currently up to, follow me on Instagram! The links to all my social media are under my photo on the top left!

Cheers to the long weekend!
Valerie



SHARE:

No comments

© It's a Fancy Schmancy Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig